Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

We remember You, Papa

A Postcard for you Papa.

Tomorrow is your birthday. We always remember.  Who from the family can forget? You've been a loving father. A pillar of our home. A source of our strength. A generous provider. Your lips had never departed from instruction. A wisdom I delight to heed. A family-oriented man.

When I was in teens, I saw a liberal father. We talk a lot of anything. My first stick of cigarette was tasted in the place called home. We are having siesta in our sala. Once you told me, better try a curiosity at home than with a company of fools somewhere. A disciplinarian in a diplomatic way. I never recalled him calling names nor ever heard of demeaning words when mad. He was a cool father in his time.

You and mother bond most in our kitchen. You're such a happy team together! You never complained when salt runs out in the cupboard. Makes sure that everything you need for a menu, you provide. 

You don't even bother washing our clothes would lessen your masculinity. Even though you were not practically raised the province's way of life, you tried to do things you've never did before. I deeply appreciated your hard work in the farm. The mud at your feet and the sweat in your face, I never have forgotten. What a domestic father, you are!

Our house were often visited by a family member or friends that would seek advise. He was like a hero of couples in dispute. One would even spend a night in our home. He is a man of principle and integrity. One night, you scared me to death. I would never forget a frenzy drunkard bullying a fight to anyone in the middle of the night. Nobody seems to do anything, not even the local securities. You decided to go out and talk to a notorious man in the community. I thought you'll get harmed. I silently cried a prayer for you. Then silence. I heard a mellow conversation from our yard. It wasn't that long until finally, I heard this guy, apologized and promised to go home. Wow, what a courage! A courage only a real man could take, indeed. The memory makes me proud of you more.

Of course, Pa, you are no perfect. You're also a man who is hard to convince. Who is not easily swayed by others principle. You often sound contrary on social issues affecting the society. You're a very good public speaker and a good debater. You strongly opposed Lolo Jose on issue about Christianity. You read books about law and different faith. You said, you're a frustrated lawyer. I regret it was not your fate. During my elementary days, I remember you were
a guest speaker in our school on one occasion. The crowd was very lively.

In your best years, you succeeded establishing your relationship in the family. Even your co-workers had became our extended families. You lived a very peaceful life. Until one day, sickness suddenly stole everything. Our family was devastated. It was the end of happy years. A new turning point without you.

Papa, if there's anything I ever regret is that, I was young when you left. I never had the chance to bond with you more. You never heard me matured enough to say "I love you" or to say "Thank you for your sacrifices" when I fully grasp it; to say good things of you in a grown up perspective. I never had a chance to share you my grown up dreams and vision. You never had the chance to see me and my sibling of how we become today. All left is your story to be passed on to your grandchildren. Surely, you'll be smiling to us now. Makes you proud too.

Papa, wherever you are, I strongly believe our prayer of salvation in your death bed is not in vain. I deeply cherished the memory when I was only the person in the room witnessed your dying moment. Which given me peace from my gap to take care of you in the hospital. 

Papa, you're deeply in our thoughts and your memory will be ever vibrant in our hearts. 
Mama, Mau and myself loved you dearly, eternally.....

No comments:

Post a Comment